Saturday, January 28, 2006

What a movie

I am writing as I return from watching the movie Rang De Basanti. After the movie all my friends were discussing about the grade or for that matter the marks (out of 10) upto one place of decimal which could be given to the movie. There were many 8s and 8.5s thrown and finally after comparison with various other movies including Swades and replacing the roles of the film characters with others not even remotely related with the movie I left the conversation as I remembered that I had been waiting for sometime to write something. By the way, I would also give about 8.5/10 to the movie.

The entire movie revolves around a diary which has witnessed some famous or should I say notorious events of history. And by correlating them to the sequence of events in the movie, it has been shown how these events can easily happen again. One of the points which may be not that significant (when compared to others in the movie) is that it shows the power of expressing ones thoughts by writing or making a film or any other means.

It emphasizes things which I have firmly believed. One is that if a person feels that he should as soon as possible leave his/her country as it is in a condition which will not improve and nothing can make it better then he/she is mistaken. It is the lack of efforts which is leading to such a condition. A famous (I am not very sure about the fame part) analogy is that if your house is dirty then you do not go to live in someone else’s house. Either you live in it in the present state or you make an effort and clean it. These are also the two ways of living that were reiterated in the movie.

Secondly, what is happening is that more and more people have started to refrain from thinking about issues which matter to them, to the society and to the country. Though we are moving to the age of technology so that the functions to be performed take less time and we have more time for ourselves, what we actually see is we are getting busy by the day. We have time to watch 5 days of cricket, discuss about it for another 3 days and then another 5 days of cricket but no time to reflect on things much more important.

Yes people have their priorities but then you decide if they are justified in raising their grievances about things they are pretty much indifferent about. I end this as I have been hearing the conversation of my friends touching subjects which anybody related to the movie might not have thought about in their entire lives and I would like to join.

No comments: