Monday, April 03, 2006

The Four Factor

My previous post received a lot of attention with people thinking that I was actually going for marriage. I want to make it clear that though there are no proposals as of now, I am definitely open to them. Also, I have promised my friends that I would be the first one to get married from our group. So for fulfilling that promise I am of the view that it is high time and I should start looking for someone.

Further, various IIMs have increased their fees. Now that is certainly bad news for me and other IIM aspirants. But there is hope since IIML has not increased it yet but is being speculated to follow suit before June. Though at this point of time, I am not sure if I would like to go to IIML but you never know. IIML being the 4th best IIM actually increases its chances of having me as a student. Why is this so?

Consider this. In Maharashtra, after the secondary examination (X standard), we have to take admission in a junior college for the higher secondary examination (XII standard). After my secondary examination results, I was so confident that I purchased the forms of only the top 3 colleges for admission. Only when my father insisted, I purchased the form for the 4th best college thinking of it as a waste of money and effort. Guess what; I ended up in the 4th best college since other colleges did not offer to me Computers as a vocational subject (which I wanted to take) given my ‘low’ percentage.

After that, I prepared for IIT-JEE and secured a decent rank. But the rank was not good enough for getting a seat in the Computer Science stream at what most would argue are the top 3 IITs. So, I had to be satisfied with the 4th best IIT i.e. IIT Delhi (Though various surveys have shown IIT Delhi to be the best, I and other IITians would tell you the real rankings).

Given this, I think IIML may be the one. I hope the 4 factor is not repeated but then I would have liked to hope the same before.

Now for some things, I doubt you would hear/read anywhere else on the web. Firstly, do you know the highest rated movie at the Internet Movie Database? It is Gunda. At the time of writing of this post, the rating was 9.9/10. Some time back it was a perfect 10/10 but some unscrupulous (or rather scrupulous) elements did not like that.

People preparing for IIT entrance examination would know of FIITJEE, which is a coaching centre with branches all round the country. However, what they would not know is that the mock tests’ papers, which are taken by the coaching centre, are actually not checked by teachers of the coaching centre. These could be checked by anybody. The coaching centre gives some money per paper checked and so various IITians try to redeem the benefits. But then we have a concept called greed. So, people try to check these papers as fast as possible so that maximum amount of papers (and hence maximum amount of money) can be checked in the smallest amount of time. At that time they do not think of the aspirants who have given these mock tests and are hoping to get a good measure of their performance with the help of the marks in these tests.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haramkhor, jis thali mein khata hai usi ki burayi karta hai ... saare IITion mein accha IIT dilli humara :-)

Ashutosh said...

I respect your sentiments about IIT Delhi.
But the post was about how I feel.
You are welcome to convince me.