Monday, April 17, 2006

Contact me

A lot of things are going on these days. Firstly there is the confusion regarding my future career path. The comments would show the varied opinions. Secondly, my final semester is going for completion – no need to mention the lack of effort required for that. Also, I have been trying along with one of my friends to prepare some images for the promotion and proliferation of Myself Speaking™. We are trying to persuade some well known personalities to be the brand ambassadors. The talks are in progress and in the near future you would definitely something to look forward to.

Regarding IIMs, one pleasant surprise was that I have also been selected for IIMI (IIM Indore). Initially the IIMI site was not ready to speak out but after some high stress torture using Date of Birth manipulations as the weapon, it had to confess. Though I do not plan to go to IIMI, given that I have two better offers, but it was psychological win. Now my score was 2/6. The only surprise was IIMC and the irony was that it consisted of my best performance among all IIMs.

Moving further, the only revolution which has come in the last say, 50 years is that of communication. We are moving towards an age where the distance between people has decreased tremendously, atleast technologically. There have been rapid advancement and almost daily we come across new technologies being innovated and adopted to bring it to everyone’s doorstep.

Everyone has experienced it. For example, during school time we were not that much exposed to internet etc. So, after school, I had no contact with my school friends. Many of them had moved, do not know where, either for studies or because their families had to relocate. Once in IIT, I had tried to search for them through the web but to no use.

Then an initiative was taken with the Names Database. It was an idea which was required and had great usage. It planned to bring users of the web together so that anybody on the net can find anyone else and contact him. However, it did not take off. The reasons I believe are the cumbersome tasks which a registered user has to go through before he is able to search for other people. A user had to provide some 24 distinct email ids. These email ids should be such that they do not belong to people who have already registered. Now, 24 is a big number. So, after some time, users lost interest.

However, the objectives have been achieved with the coming up of various social networking sites. So, recently I managed to catch up with almost all my friends using one such social networking site. They were surprised (I hope pleasantly) as was I. Not that I was able to chalk out many serious plans or perform concrete tasks with them but the fact that we were electronically in contact brought back a sense of association.

However, the number of social networking groups has increased to an unmanageable number. Every person cannot keep track of all of them. So, what is required is that one finds a group on which most of his friends are present and not go on registering for every run of the mill networking group.

No comments: