Sunday, March 12, 2006

Ponting leads Australia to biggest loss EVER

Words cannot express the spectacle that happened today, still I cannot not-write about this.

When SA lost the very close fourth match, I thought that was IT for them. Going 2-each to a final with the Aussies the result is never debatable, but this time it was different. I love the unmatched happiness I get whenever Aus lose, but this was a bonanza.

I was playing cricket in the "basketball" court in our hostel when someone told that Aussies were cruising at around 8 an over, when I went to the TV room the last 8 overs loooked like a joke. Ponting was doing what indian cricket fans are used to see him do in finals... murder!
Final score 434-4, this big a score ought to be followed by a full-stop, but to my utter delight it was just a comma this time!

Walking out of the TV room I joked that if an only if Gibbs hits a double, could this be possible.
Now people obviously believed this match was over and F1 prevailed. Smith and Gibbs had very different plans though. Looking at the score over the net, I was just hoping that the freak continues. It did.

Although now the TV room was packed with people, I thought I'd rather go to the annual BHM nite than go and make SA lose. (My friends say I am cursed and whenever I go and watch a match to support any side, it is bound to lose).

While eating I heard that Gibbs got out and SA had started their "choking" thing. I thought it would end up being one more of those could-have-been-the-best-ever scenario. Suddenly someone said it was just 24 of 16. Now I thought if SA could do so much, they may as well overpower my black shadow, so I rushed to the hostel TV room.

I reached in time to watch the last over. 7 reqd. of 6.

Ball 1: Boucher smashed the ball straight down the ground, almost teared apart Lee's right foot.
Managed a single.

Ball 2: Hall pulled Lee away for a boundary. Now only 2 of 4. Lee almost crying.

Ball 3: Hall gifts his wicket away (typical SA stuff one would imagine).

Ball 4: Ntini to face the music. I thought a 150 kmph yorker would definitely rob SA of another significant victory. The ball was full, but outside off, and Ntini squeezes the most important single of his life. Now 1 of 2.

Ball 5: Fullish ball and Boucher picks it up for a boundary. !@$%#^&. All hell breaks loose in TV room.

I sincerely thought only India could mess up this big!!! But Aussies outdid my imaginations.

This was undoubtedly THE BEST MOMENT of cricket. Not just because Aus lost after posting the highest total, but because SA finally won, and from a situation from where no other team would even try for a win. Sometimes I wonder how different would things be in the cricket world if the blunderous run out had not happened in the WC-99 semis...

I cannot wait to watch the highlights, which would be only minutes shorter than the whole match. I know this was a very biased post but I don't remember when was the last time I was this happy and content :D

Hoping taht Aus loses the test series "comprehensively"...

No comments: