Sunday, March 26, 2006

Nationalism and Communalism

I did not post yesterday and was sad because though I had the time for the same, somehow I managed to skip. Recently, I have been getting so much content to post that it kind of stacks up if you do not post regularly.

French President recently walked out of an European Union summit after a French business leader abandoned his mother tongue. Now that was bold but probably not against the prevalent attitude of the world governments. We have various recent events which show nationalism being the prominent feeling even in this age where widespread globalization is being claimed.

We have the US Congress opposing the control of their ports by a Dubai based company. The Luxembourg, France and other governments opposing a takeover bid for a company, in which they have a stake, by an Indian business tycoon.

Though the French President’s behaviour is a little outrageous, he is not alone. And I do not consider these feelings to be unjust in any way if they do not criticize other people who are in the same boat or do not try to propagate the opposite feelings if it suits them.

So, I have no problem if the US and the EU keep providing subsidies to their farmers but I do have a problem if they oppose a similar venture by the Indian government in the name of globalization and free trade.

These feelings many a times also extend to communalism. So, we have some papers ready to mock at other religions but not that of the religion of the people of their country. But before looking outside, I should first reflect within India i.e. my country. And I would find almost equal, if not much more, to speak.

Everywhere around me, I see people following the same path that I have condemned above. So, if you speak Hindi, which is my mother tongue as is of the majority in India, you are considered not that sophisticated. Watching Hollywood movies is fashion and criticizing them reflects your lower taste. Opposing the foreign channels, which are promoting values opposed to those proposed by our traditions, is taken as an act of naivety. And if government brings in a law to curb forceful conversion of religion or a law banning cow slaughter, which is taboo for Hindus, it is considered as an act of communalism.

To sum it all, this is what an article at Wikipedia has to say

“Thus, in India, there exists a peculiar situation where the opponents of a secular law are called "Secularists" while those in favour of a secular law are termed "communalists" or even "fascists"”


2 comments:

Naresh Sabbani said...

I would like to add/refute a point that crossed my mind while reading the post. One gets a feeling of comparison being made between nationalism with communalism which I completely disagree. Gone are the Hitler days when people used to fight in the name of nationalism which no two nations can afford today. Today major fights are due to clashes amongst communities in the name of race or religion largely due to internal distress.
Gud tht u wrote something abt this.

Ashutosh said...

Though we feel that no nation can afford fighting in the name of nationalism, we have day-today examples as were mentioned in the post.

Also, nationalism and communalism actually join hands for example when there is a majority of one community in a nation and anything or anyone against the nation is taken to be against the community.