Saturday, March 04, 2006

Job Interview - The Finale

Well many people had promised of writing their experiences (interview experiences to be specific) but none have overcome their lethargy. Failing on that front, I thought I should atleast complete my experience for I have given many interviews after this and going at this pace, I may not have sufficient free time to share all of them.

So, just to recap … I had my first interview and was waiting for the next round. The interviewer (who took my interview) was almost finished with his initial shortlist of candidates. And so I had expected to hear from him soon. But then suddenly other non short listed students started entering the interview room and I was puzzled. On probing, I found that he had made it open for anybody (who maybe on the shortlist for other profiles) to come and be interviewed. It became kind of a walk-in-interview. I was sad, not because others were getting interviewed for I knew that the number of students to get offers is not bounded, but because I felt that this was it for me.

After all the interviews the shortlist was announced and I was one of the 4 to be shortlisted. All the worries were behind and I started waiting for my chance. My turn came and the following happened

Note: I: Interviewer; AA: Myself (Someone said after my previous post that the initials should have been the other way round)

I: Select a company of your choice and do a SWOT analysis
AA: The company would be Reliance Infocomm.

I: You can take your time.

So, I started jotting down whatever I knew of the company. After a while

AA: Strengths: …
Weakness: …
Opportunity: …
Threat: …

I: Ok. So, we had lunch in the canteen (named ‘Sip n Bite’). It is doing well in terms of volumes but not profit. What may be the possible reasons? Analyze. Again, you can take your time.

Again, I jotted whatever I knew and said

AA: blah blah …(not literally)

I: Ok. So you may go
AA: Thank you.

And I left. But it was not over as all those who were to receive their final offers were to be interviewed by a senior employee of the company who was also conducting interviews. I had to wait a lot since he was busy on a call. After waiting for what seemed like longer than the actual elapsed time, he came and the interview started. Before the interview started I was casually talking to the interviewer (who had previously interviewed me)

I: If it was for me I would have selected you by now.

So, I was like happy-but-keeping-it-down kind of phase. So, we started talking and he was telling about his background etc.

I: What is my age, take a guess?
AA: Around 40-45

I: It is 36. Do, I look that old
AA: (Laughing, having messed up) I should probably get going.

SE (Senior Employee) comes.

SE: Sorry, I had kept you waiting. Ok. So, why do we take from IITs when we could recruit from IIMs?
AA: Beacause … you will get fresh candidates (stammer) …. I don’t know

SE: You would like to work in India?
AA: Yes, especially in Mumbai (where they were placing me) since my family lives there.

Then there were some questions repeated from the first interview about CAT, why then my company etc.

SE: Ok. So you did this course in Finance. Did you get some grading?
AA: Yes, I got an A grade.

He was noting all the points in his evaluation sheet of his company.

SE: Ok then Thank you. Do you have any questions?

AA: Yes. The same question you asked regarding recruitment from IITs rather than IIMs.
SE + I: (not a chorus, but I cannot remember who said what) IIM students have depth while you have breadth of knowledge. Also, a balance is maintained in the employees. You bring in a new perspective.

AA: Ok. Thanks
SE: So if there are no other questions then you may leave. We will notify you.

AA: Thank you.

To conclude, I was worried about the result but was more worried that if the result is not in my favour then I would have to repeat this entire exercise with another company. After that, with my head paining a bit I reached hostel only to realize that the news had spread and everyone was congratulating me. I had to convince them that it was not final and we would only know by the next morning.

No comments: