Sunday, February 28, 2010

To err by over-communicating

It is amazing how much we talk about communication, and how little we actually follow, what we preach.

I, along with a few others at work, had some things to be done. We required help from a lot of our colleagues and most of them were willing to help. It involved taking out time from their busy schedules and may be putting in some hours during the weekend.

The work got done and I conveniently forgot about these people who had helped us so much. There was no communication that was sent to them about how everything went and what was the result of the work that was put in by them.

When one of these people mailed me inquiring about the result, it was too embarrassing. They deserved to be part of the result - given that they were part of the process. I drafted a mail with the details w.r.t the results - and mailed it to everyone that was involved.

I understand that not everyone will be interested to the same extent in the results. But let's leave that to their discretion. They can always delete that mail as soon as they receive it. But let's give them that option. In my opinion, it is better to err on the side of over communication than not communicating enough.

6 comments:

Martha Bliss said...

u'r certainlly right!

Miss Erin said...

I totally agree with you. We do not communicate enough I think.

Pat said...

:agree:

Chandana said...

Hi,

Nice blog.

Here's a blog that will provide for your spiritual needs.

This blog has messages taught by the Spirit of GOD.
These will teach us how to have GOD in all the aspects of our lives and allow GOD's rule over every matter.

www.holyoneofisrael-reconciliation.blogspot.com

Have a blessed reading.

God bless you.

Colourking said...

If this is in connection to our work together, I completely buy your point! My bad! Will correct this flaw for the upcoming season :)

Ashutosh said...

@colourking: Not at all ... this was more a general comment from whatever I have seen ... and that includes communication from my side as well