Saturday, February 18, 2006

All about my TVs

So its minor time here, that implies I have the license to kill... time that is. Anyways so "whilst" killing time, I was going through my friend's blog, where his post on the B/W TV reminded me of my childhood.


My 'old' old TV was from Sonodyne (nothing to do with Cyberdyne which was blown up by Arnie in T2 anyway). It was this cool khul-ja-simsim kinda TV where once the door was opened you could see the bi-coloured world shown by DD.

Fortunately nothing as traumatic happened to it as did to my friend's TV, it was just the introduction of colour TV that made my parents decide to get a colour TV (this was back when they were still taking the domestic decisions in around 1992, it turns out they still are!!!).

So when our 'new' old TV (Videocon) was bought, everyone in our family thought that the B/W TV had better sound quality. May be my parents didn't want to let go the old TV. Hence they bought a TV stand, innocently built to have a TV on the top and some little showpieces below.

My parents had a different plan though. It was the birth of the first and the last two tier TV viewing system. The colour TV was kept on the top and the B/W TV got the bottom shelf. The colour TV with remote has a mute button, a facility, which was aptly absent from the B/W one. So we saw the colour TV while hearing the B/W one. As we had only one channel to view there was no need of a dual controlling system, just had to switch on/off two instead of one TV.

We continued that way for some time after which this extreme luxury of having two TVs was snatched from us. The old TV was migrated to my village.

Now 14 years of this 'new' old TV have been very rough. There was a mechanic that my father had befriended and soon his technical skills were honed so sharply by the frequent visits to our house that he went to Dubai!!!

Anyways this TV still works, can show 12 channels at an instant, the remote gives random access to any of the channels at only one button push, a feat that can't be matched by the newer TVs that have hundreds of channels.

Hoping that this one works till a new kind is invented...

1 comment:

Nikhil said...

:)

2-tier TV system...Sahi hai be.