Sunday, April 26, 2009

Logic vs. Religion

I have liked the English sitcom F.R.I.E.N.D.S for a long time now. I had watched a few episodes of other English sitcoms here and there (on advice of friends), but I never really liked any of them. Then came, HIMYM and the first couple of seasons were really good. But now that has started getting boring. My latest liking is The Big Bang Theory(BBT) which is into its second season currently.

There is this lead character in BBT named Sheldon, who is the ultimate geek. He thinks about all situations logically and is generally devoid of any emotions.

Currently, I am reading Sadhak Sanjivani, a religious text which explains the meaning of the various verses in Gitaji and is written by Swami Ramsukhdasji Maharaj. The clarity and thoroughness of the explanations are fascinating and inspiring.

The two things I have mentioned above seem a world apart. But interestingly, I found that at places they are basically saying the same thing.

In of the episodes, Sheldon asks another character of the sitcom, "Is your body mass somehow tied to your self worth?". This is after he has given a not-so-positive statement about the body mass of the other person which made the latter sad. Sheldon is one fact based person and somehow he feels that things like body mass should not affect the perceived self worth of a person.

Gitaji says that if a wealthy person thinks highly about himself / herself just due to the money, it is the money which is bigger than the person and there should be no such feeling. Similarly, if a beautiful person (based on appearance) thinks highly about himself / herself just because of appearances, it is the visual aspect which is bigger than the person and there should be no such feeling. I see a connect in what Sheldon is trying to imply and what Gitaji says.

Sometimes, it feels that the most logical should be synonymous with the most religious (at least in some areas), though it is always portrayed as opposites (almost in all areas).

2 comments:

vaibhaV said...

Can't agree more... unfortunately, when i mentioned sth like this abt BBT, "the best minds" said i was crazy... nice to know dat am not alone :)

Ashutosh said...

I myself am glad to know that I am not alone thinking stuff like this :)