Thursday, November 27, 2008

I cannot forget ...

It is amazing how sometimes, things, that some might overlook or consider not that important, makes one feel so good. These stick to your mind for long. I will tell you about 3 such things that happened (there are many more than these 3).

*
In my institute, we have this 4 day event where companies come and interview candidates to select them for a summer internship. The event was to start the next day and the seniors from my dorm prepared us well before that and wished us luck.

Some of the seniors had gone on Exchange to universities around the world and had not been able to spend time with us. On the night before the 1st day, me (and each of my dorm-mates from my batch) received a phone call from one of these seniors on Exchange. He just wanted to know how was our preparation and wish us luck. The gesture of that phone call is unforgettable. Recently, one of my other dorm-mates also recalled receiving that call and I realized how many minds (and hearts) one can find space in (in a good way) by just a phone call.

**
Again, in my institute, each batch selects a few people among ourselves to arrange and co-ordinate all placement related issues, communication and events (including the above mentioned 4 day event). The head of this group is elected by the batch through formal voting and then this person selects the rest of the team. For election of the head of the group, people have to file in nominations, prepare a manifesto and pitch to the batch. I was thinking of whether I should try to become part of the team or not. There are some things you have to miss if you are part of the team (such as going on Exchange). I was not exactly looking to stand for the post of the group head.

And then somebody asked me if I was thinking of become the group head. This person was from my batch but someone with whom I had not spoken much. I was amazed at the fact that someone saw me as the head (or atleast as a potential candidate) when I myself did not. Also, this person seemed sure that I would at least be thinking of standing for that post. Though finally, I did not stand for the post or tried to become part of the team, I somehow am reminded of the fact that at least there was one person who saw me as a worthy candidate.

***
Untoward things happen. One gets concerned about them. But sometimes the most one can do is to ensure that damage has not happened to people we know.

There were some such incidents which happened in my home city yesterday. I tried to get in touch with my family and learnt that they were alright. Then I though about getting in contact with friends who are either themselves in that city or have family there. So, I logged in to one of my Instant Messaging subscriptions, and before I could ask anyone, I got a message from a friend enquiring about how my family was. I told this person that everything is alright and asked about this person's family who lives in the same city. Thankfully, everything was well.

Though this event happened only yesterday, it feels I would remember the fact that somebody was concerned about me, for a while. Again, one message can go a long way.

No comments: