Thursday, October 16, 2008

Less than what you expected

I am not sure if I have mentioned this before, but sometimes it feels that there are much less people, that you can turn to in need, than what you might subconsciously think. When you sit down and start thinking, you realize that one by one you are scrapping the names from the list of potential people you thought you would go to.

Around a year ago, a few of my friends were organizing this party for the other people of my batch. I was peripherally involved in the setup for the party. The main guys in-charge had to go to the market to buy things and it was left on me to take some material from my friend's room in the campus to the party site. The stuff was much to handle myself and would have required multiple trips had I gone alone. I thought about taking help from some other friends. The party was more of my Section thing. Not many people were there in my dorm (and they were not exactly related to the party), so I thought why not ask someone from the S to help. I opened the sheet which had the names of all people in my Section with their extension numbers.

I started from the top of the list and was evaluating each entry on the basis of whether I can ask this person for help or not. We had just been through a inter-section competition and there had supposedly been a lot of bonding among the section mates. To cut a long story short, I realized that there was only one person who felt reachable. Just one person! He was Mr. AV, the person who used to sit besides me in the section. I was amazed then as much as I am now.

A couple of months back, I thought of getting together with people to see if we can discuss some business ideas and evaluate their potential. So, I was confronted with the task of seeing who were the people on the campus that I would like to talk to gauge the level of interest they had in such a thing. I started thinking and writing down names and I was amazed at the names I wrote.

There were many people with whom I had not worked before for any project, assignment etc. But they were still in the list. I might have seen them, their work ethic etc. subconsciously and somehow when I sat down thinking their names came to my mind. At the same time, there were many others who were absent from the list - many of whom I have worked with and I have liked working with. But I don't know why they were not on the list.

Same is the case today. Details some other time.

No comments: