Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Rs 780/- incident

Travelling through railways can sometimes be a little dangerous and necessary safety precautions should be taken. Your luggage and belongings should be properly taken care of. Generally, the perception is that the A.C. coaches and the A.C. trains are much more safe than the non-A.C. ones. Incidents happening in these coaches are very less as compared to the others.


I was travelling through an A.C. train coach around 2yrs back. I was to start a particular station D and I was to get down at another station M. As the train came on the platform at D, I got into the coach, found my seat and arranged my luggage. I generally carry a chain by which I can tie the luggage to the seats to avoid any chance of losing it due to theft. I was sitting on my seat and waiting for the train to start moving.


After a few minutes, a man who was well dressed and looked decent approached me. He introduced himself as a co-passenger who is travelling with family. He pointed out towards a bunch of people who were in the same coach and claimed that it was his family. He said that he had lost the tickets and so has to buy new ones / pay a penalty for himself and his family members. He took out a bunch of currency notes and said that he had some money, but was short of just Rs 780/- which if I can give him, it would help him at that time. The promise was that some of his relatives were to come and meet him at some station on the journey and he has asked to bring the money, which he would return to me.


His arguments looked convincing and it looked a genuine case that needed help. But somehow, I did not give him money because I did not had so much cash at hand and would have to open my suitcase, which I did not want to do. I also thought that in this A.C. coach there would be someone who would be able to help him and so why bother.


He took off instantaneously as I told him that I did not have that much money. As the train started, I forgot about him and started enjoying the journey. Somewhere down the line, I remembered about what had happened and wanted to check if he was able to get the money. I looked for him at the place where he had shown his family but did not find him. I thought he would be somewhere and would come in a while. I checked again after sometime and did not find him. I didn’t knew if I should ask his family or not.


I did see the person for the rest of my journey and it did not feel as if I would see him again. The family looked cool and I did not sense anything about not having / losing tickets etc. I realized at that time, that even when that man pointed towards them, none of the family members were looking towards us (in anticipation) and did not even looked concerned.


I just wondered how people found ways to trick people and how they learn and change with the environment and the conditions.


No comments: