Thursday, February 28, 2008

Here and there

I was away from home for 4 years during my under graduation. During the holidays, whenever I visited my home, the lifestyle I lived was completely different from what I was leading at my institute on a routine basis. The amount of time I slept or the various casual activities I did at home were not part of my daily routine at that point in time. I always wondered how I would be able to get back to my routine once the holidays got over and I had to return. But somehow it was never a problem and there was no transition period required. Even during my current stint with academics, in holidays, I still wonder similar thing knowing well that it won’t be a problem.

One of my friends told me this: There are four stages in the life of a professional when the person is recognized by different things:
1. During under graduation, recognized by a 2-page CV.
2.
During post graduation, recognized by a 1-page CV.
3. After joining a company, recognized by your visiting card.
4. The final aim is to get yourself recognized by just your name.


Jim Rogers, cofounder of Quantum Hedge Funds (along with George Soros) has three pearls of wisdom to share:
1. Get out of the dollar.
2. Teach your children Chinese.
3. Buy commodities.

Why do companies opt for Rights issue over Follow up public offer?
As per our Finance professor
1. Logistics, time and costs are saved.
2. Shareholder value is not diluted (atleast for those who can avail shares)
3. prevent new stream of shareholders investing for short term.

Finally, came across a good post
http://melodycalledlife.blogspot.com/2008/01/top-of-world-feeling.html

No comments: