Saturday, September 22, 2007

Bahut sahi funda hain

I generally am inspired easily by sentences/fundas which I come across. As part of the curriculum through readings related to the courses or through the mouth of the Professors, I have come across various statements which have made me say “Bahut sahi funda hain” (It’s a very good funda). I use this sequence of words quite lavishly, but I cannot help appreciate statements which I like but which may not impress many.

Some thoughts have also started surfacing in my mind. I guess these are probably due to a mixture of the environment in my institute, the syllabus, the Profs, my observations etc. I sometimes jot down these points so that I can have everything in front of me , rather than in the mind.

In one of our courses in the last term, we had a reading which said that people tend to listen and agree to things which are said by people who are not close to you. As it might have sounded to you, it did sound a little universal. It will depend a lot on what the context is. So, in some cases or for some people this might be true; and for others just the opposite might be true.

I came across an example of the same within our class. We had a heated debate about an issue in the class sometime back. Everyone had his/her opinion and not many were ready to budge. After a while, various events happened and many things were said by Profs and by students about things which might seem far away from the debate. However, the core issue people were trying to address/discuss was the same. You might get a hint of that from one of my posts.

Since the issue was the same people generally stuck to their initial points of view. But a lot was dependent on who raised the issue. So, if it was a Prof saying things against your stand and you did not like that Prof, you tended to defend your stand. While if it came from a Prof you liked or maybe from a student you were on good terms with, then even if the stand being taken by them was the opposite of yours, you tended to agree at least for that bit.

Another thought. Cursing and cribbing has kind of become a fashion. So, if you don’t crib, you do not “belong” to the general crowd. The best thing to do is to listen to someone cribbing and then agree to whatever is said. To add to that, you put in another 2-3 cribs and everyone is happy (or at least they seem to be happy).

I agree that listening to what others say is very important but if you agree, just for the sake of agreeing, then it might not be the best thing to do (as I see it). You can listen to them and may be try to remove the issues being faced by giving some other perspective (You do not have to do it always, but there can be times when you can). Obviously, doing this makes you the bad guy. The other person will not like it but if you are scared of that, assume you did not read this post.

1 comment:

KS said...

Agree with your 'cribbing is current fashion' analysis. Seems people want to put in arbit cribs no matter what