Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A Peaceful Protest

It has been long since I wrote. The reason was mainly because my account (through which I could access the web) has been frozen. The reason being that some anti-social element got hold of my password, and thereby my account, and downloaded 5 GB of God knows what. As a result, I became instant villain of my department and was held responsible for all that was happening wrong in the department. From bandwidth usage to chair robbery, I was the one to be contacted.

After getting a lot of undeserved bashing and with some efforts, I was able to track the user ids as well as the network IPs of the culprits. But that was not enough as to find the computer with a particular IP in the entire institute campus would surely have taken a lot of time and sweat. So, after a few searches I gave up and updated our HOD about the status. He was kind enough to atleast give partial access to my account so that I could continue with my semester and none of my courses or projects are affected.

Now for some latest updates. I along with many of my fellow students took to the streets yesterday with a peaceful protest march from IIT Delhi to AIIMS. Since the march was peaceful, no slogans were allowed on the streets. We were given security or more so the police accompanied us so that nothing goes out of hand. Most of the students were enthusiastic. One of the reasons was the fact that it would be their chance to come into the limelight, for the media coverage was spell bounding.

The media was not allowed inside our campus and so they were waiting at the campus gates to have a chat with the protesters as well as catch them on camera. My colleagues were more than happy to contribute and say whatever they can. We had made posters so that the onlookers would atleast know the purpose of the protest. I do not have a picture of any poster to show you as of now, but I would definitely try to arrange for one by my next post. The posters read
1. Deserve, Not Reserve
2. Is this how you stop Brain Drain?
3. Disowned by my Own Country
But the best poster was one where we had used mathematical equations, true to our name as the top technological instituion of the country. Ofcourse nobody, including the media, could understand that but the creators of the poster where more than happy to explain the complex equation.

I have not told you yet what we were protesting against. Well you might hav guessd it by the slogans on the posters. If not, we have a long way to go before we take poster making as our profession. Ending the suspense, the protests were against the new set of Resevations which the Government of India is trying to introduce. And also to show our solidarity towards the medical community who have been protesting for about a month now. Some members of the medical community are on a hunger strike at AIIMS in retaliation of their members being manhandled by the police in Mumbai and Bangalore. Some guys from us are also planning to join the hunger strike but no commitments yet.

No comments: