Sunday, December 05, 2010

Not sure which disease is actually dangerous

Along with the admission letter of my B-School, I also received a form that I was supposed to get filled by a doctor. the form asked the doctor to verify if the candidate has had the first injection for Hepatitis B.

Given the importance that the institute was paying to this particular disease - mind you, of all the prevalent diseases - I thought this is important. So, I approached a doctor for the vaccination required. He told me that it is a two stage process - one injection now, and another 6 months later. I thought that I will start the process here and the institute will definitely ensure that I get the second dose 6 months hence, when I will be in a place that care about this particular disease so much.

To my dismay, it was costly affair. The injection was for around Rs. 2,000/- at that time. However, I went ahead and got the injection as well as the form filled from the doctor. I submitted it along with other documents to the institute.

The expectation was that there will be many like me who will have had only the first injection by doctors at their place. The second part will have to happen at the institute for all of them. So, there will be a camp one day to ensure that we fight this dangerous disease and it does not proliferate.

There was not even a single word on this for the 2 years I spent at my B-School. The institute might have just been following government orders around this, and did not seriously care about Hepatitis B as a disease. On some research, I found that this disease suddenly gained prominence in the country and did not seem to be much of a threat for Indians - neither were there cases. But this fear of the disease was suddenly all prevalent. I am sure more of my batchmates would have been affected by diseases like malaria etc.

Some diseases seem to get prominence quickly, even though they might not be too much relevant. Not sure why this happens. Is there some conspiracy behind this? I believe we need to think about these issues more. Have we started taking all these things for granted?

No comments: