Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My grandfather

My grandfather died about one and a half months back because of a heart attack. If I have to choose one person whose behaviour, habits etc etc (pretty much everything) that I would want to adopt, it would be his.

He was 76 years old but was more fit than me. He lived a life full of sensory control and with a divine aim. From the time I remember, he had been a very religious person. The unique thing about him was that he did not limit himself to reading or listening to religious things, he had fully imbibed everything divine he came across. Many people came to offer condolences to my grandmother, and the one thing that everybody said was - If there was one person they knew who saw God in everyone and everything, it would be him.

I fail to remember a time when he spoke to me and did not talk about God or some religious thing - even if the conversation was for a few seconds. I was with my grandmother for over a month and witnessed the conversations that happened as people came to offer condolences. I was just amazed at the number of people he touched. There were strangers (to us) who came and just started crying (and these tears were not made up). They could not believe that such a thing has happened and they said that their loss was irreparable.

I was pretty close to him and it is definitely a great loss to me. But at the same time, I firmly believe that he has not gone anywhere, for such people's blessings are always present. I have always believed that whatever little I have managed to do in life, it is because of the life my grandparents have lived.

2 comments:

KC said...

Hello!

I was just looking around and I read this post, and wow. I can totally relate to you. My grandfather is getting pretty old. 86 years, to be exact. And I can't think of a time when he didn't try to pass on some wisdom on to me. It's like your grandparents are so important and have been through so much, that they just become your role models.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Ellie Ryan

http://makeitsomuchmore.blogspot.com/

Vijay Santhosh Krishna said...

A cool touching post. took me into a different world for few min.. :-)