Thursday, July 10, 2008

Delhi Blasts

Had written this after the Delhi blasts of 2005 ...


Initially, I had planned to write about my reviews of the currents happenings on the Television. But, when I started to write about one such event, I had to change the title to be more specific as other reviews can wait.

With every attack by the terrorists anywhere around the globe, all the countries come together and issue their condemnations for the same. Yet after sometime we have another attack, maybe at some other place, and here we are again listening to condemnations. I do not say that these are not required or are not necessary but wouldn't it be nice if the issuance of these condemnations could follow actions which actually plan to lower the number of such issuances.

I condemn these blasts not because they took place in Delhi, where I stay but because they claimed lives. I used to care little about attacks claiming lives till recently. However, this one shook me. The attacks showed (as many others attacks have also indicated) the intentions of the attackers. They are not fighting for a piece of land or some religion or for their community. They are thirsty of life. They are damn concerned about the religions of the ones dying, they just want lives. Remember the attacks in Kashmir after the earthquake struck. Why did these take place when their so called intention is the welfare of the people of Kashmir. They would go to any extent for claiming lives ... even to the extent of "sacrificing" their own lives. (Sacrifice is used here in the ironic sense)

Now to give you one of the most shocking news that I had ever received. The blasts which took place on the 29th Oct had claimed many lives, two of which were my friend's mother and sister. Though I had met them only once but the news sent panic waves across my body. I began to know how the blasts can affect a person, which till now I had completely ignored. How an event like this can change someone's life forever.

I had been on good terms with this friend from the day I met him and I believe he is of the few who remains on good terms with anyone he meets. And yet such a thing happens to him. I heard the news of his family members being lost on TV and tried to reach him on his cellphone. He gave me the news and told that he was at a hospital collecting their bodies. I did not, or rather could not speak a single word. On hearing such things happen to people so close to you makes one realize how large the impact of an attack could be. I want to confess that God forbidden, if ever I had to go through such a stage then I may not be able to handle the situation at all. The courage shown by my friend is commendable. I would also like to use this platform to tell my friend that I am with him.

Once again I have to change the title as I would end this entry here as I have no guts to continue further

No comments: