Friday, January 11, 2008

How to get your rank certifcate for IIT JEE?

Though I generally keep all my important documents (certificates, identity cards etc.) safely and am not that irresponsible as to have no idea about their location, this time I was in a pickle. I got to know that going forward, I would require proof of everything that I want to include on my CV. Though this requirement always remained at the back of my mind earlier as well (for e.g. when I was to undergo my campus placements, I tried to make sure I have all relevant certificates for the interview), this time there was to be formal checking of these before I can present my CV to anyone and that meant you cannot leave anything just like that on the CV.

The first thing which I was asked to make sure was that I have a proof for the rank I secured at the entrance examination for my under graduation. I think the reason for this to be the first issue was that it was important and that many people would have faced the issue of not having such a proof and these people would have gone through a lot to get it, if they at all managed to do that. The importance of the matter increases with the reputation of the alma mater.

So, began my tryst to get my rank certificate. The IIT in which I studied was the first point of contact. As it would be a while before I could go there physically (it was in a different city from where I was working), I asked one of my friends who was in his final year there to ask the concerned officials about the process. After going through a few offices and meeting some people, he was told that since the exam was not conducted by that IIT for the year, they cannot provide any such certificate. First fort lost ... not yet!

I tried to contact my alumni cell and see if they could help. I also mailed directly to the officials asking help. The cell tried to help but could not go very far. The officials gave me an argument similar to the one they gave my friend. I tried to call them and convince but again no use.

Next stop was the IIT which conducted the exam. I was a little skeptical about getting any success. I started with sending a mail to the concerned office of the IIT to issue me a certificate explaining the issue and giving my details. I was not too sure if I could even get a reply. At the same time, I came to know that one of my friends' father is a Professor in that IIT. I also gave him the details and requested him to ask his father to push for the matter. He was kind enough to agree.

I received a mail next day wherein the concerned office asked for my email address to send the certificate or gave me the option of collecting it from them in person. Now, this thing happened because of my friend's father's efforts or otherwise, I had not expected success, at least so fast. I was in the same city and so replied back saying that I would collect it from their office the next day; thanked them as well. The IIT was close to my office, so went the next day and collected the certificate. It was kept all ready to be handed over.

Now that this rank certificate was safe in my files, I started to arrange for the proof for the next point on my CV. My only suggestion to everyone: Please take good care of all your certificates etc. You never know when they would be needed.

1 comment:

Gabbar said...

Wow! Nice to see you blogging again. Do you get time to actually blog there ;)

Anyways keep up the good work.